Mid-Century ranch home built in 1963 with picture windows in every room that overlook the valley and mountain views. Set on acres of native trees and yucca, there is a peaceful, calm tranquility as you meander among the shady trees. Modern chef's kitchen, jacuzzi tub in the master suite, office with fast wifi, a two sun rooms for birdwatching.
A short 20 minute drive to Palm Springs and to Joshua Tree National Park, we are perfectly & centrally located for all of your desert adventures!
The Morongo Hideaway sits at about 2,500 feet above sea level at the foot of the Sand to Snow National Monument, the gateway to the Mojave, on 2 acres of desert mesquite, piñon, palo verde, olive, acacia, sumac, pepper, yucca, and juniper studded desert in foothills of Mount San Gorgonio (the highest peak in Southern California).
Our beautiful ranch house has a master suite, guest bedroom, and an enclosed sleeping porch. Perfect for a family retreat with multiple indoor and outdoor spaces for relaxing.
The Morongo Hideaway Experience:
• King Bed Master Suite with Private Bathroom, Jacuzzi Tub, and Private Balcony.
• Queen Bed Guest Room
• Twin bed in Sunroom
• Inspirational space for creatives, with an abundance of natural light and views.
• Elegant & simple decor with a modern desert aesthetic
• Chef's Kitchen fully stocked with brass flatware, full array of glassware, cookware, dishes and prep tools.
• French press, Chemex, and Keureg coffee makers
• Natural Light with picture windows in every room overlooking lush gardens
• Central heating and cooling system
• 2 full bathrooms
• Living room
• Two sun rooms perfect for morning yoga or birdwatching
• Dining room with picture windows and valley view
• Office with desk and picture windows with valley & garden view
• Filtered water
• Portable bluetooth speaker & Vinyl record player
• Several outside seating areas including covered balcony porch & outdoor dining table with umbrella that seats 6-8.
• All bathrooms are stocked with natural hand soap (for our grey water system) and Hairstory shampoo & conditioner. Cotton bath towels and wash cloths are provided for each guest. Smyrna turkish cotton hand towels are provided in all bathrooms.
The Morongo Hideaway is the ideal home for:
• birdwatchers visiting Morongo Canyon (our property & trees are part of this habitat!)
• people looking for a healing space
• creatives seeking an inspirational space, with an abundance of natural light and views.
• nomads who work from home, our space has multiple spaces for working surrounded by beauty and natural light.
• couples seeking desert solitude
• friends wanting to commune under star-filled desert night skies
• families seeking a desert getaway that is close to all of the amenities the desert area has to offer
• a getaway within close proximity Palm Springs, Desert Hot Springs, and Joshua Tree!
Set on 2 acres of fenced land, you can meander amongst the gardens in peaceful communion with the desert. Morongo Valley has historically been known for its water, for the underground streams that flow from San Gorgonio mountain to the Big Morongo Canyon below. The trees and lush desert vegetation are a part of this natural habitat and home to many quail, rabbit, hummingbirds, butterflies, lizards, and road runners. The 263 species of birds and 74 species of butterflies that migrate through the Canyon preserve often make a stop in our trees! Be prepared for some wonderful birdwatching!
The property offers a stunning, unobstructed vista of Morongo Valley, and the little San Bernardino mountains. Visible to the north are desert mountains that define the southern periphery of the Sawtooth Wilderness, with Pioneertown just beyond. The property is cradled on three sides by some of the most marvelous and wild high desert terrain in California.
-Joshua Tree National Park -> 20 minutes
-Palm Springs -> 22 minutes
-Pioneertown -> 20 minutes
-Yucca Valley Shopping -> 15 minutes
-Big Morongo Canyon Reserve -> 5 minutes
-Spaghetti Western Restaurant, Bar and Live Music! -> 5 minutes
-Sand to Snow National Monument -> 1 hour
PLEASE READ BEFORE BOOKING:
NO PARTIES OF ANY KIND
NOISE: Sound carries very well in the high desert, and as part of our commitment to being good neighbors and to San Bernardino County ordinances, quiet hours are from 9PM-7AM. Any reported noise disturbances to the county will be subject to fines that the guest must pay.
GUESTS: No guests beyond those included in the reservation are allowed on the property without prior permission.
WE HAVE AN ADDITIONAL LISTING FOR AN ADD-ON CASITA. We have an additional casita on the property that is available to rent under our listing "Morongo Hideaway Ranch House & Casita" if you have more guests! Or you can book the Casita as an ADD-ON to your rental for an additional fee. Note that we only rent to one party at a time on our property, so you will have the space to yourselves. The Casita sleeps 2 with a full bathroom, kitchenette, living room and wood burning stove.
+ 100% private property - never rented to more than one party
+ central heating/ AC system
+ 2 acres of Mojave Desert with incredible trees, shade, and space to roam.
+ FAST Wifi internet & private office
+ 55” HDR Roku TV with Apple TV
+ Acoustic guitar, vinyl records, record player, and portable speaker
+ Keureg coffee maker, French Press, and Chemex coffee maker (Keureg pods provided).
+ romantic jacuzzi tub in Master bath
+ private covered balcony off master bedroom
+ accessible large shower in main bathroom
+ private attached casita with full bath & tub, kitchenette and wood burning stove.
The Morongo Hideaway is spacious and can comfortably accommodate 5-8 guests.
We are located in the hills above the historic community of Morongo Valley. The house is situated on a residential street at the top of our quiet neighborhood. Morongo has primarily been home to ranches, homesteads artist residences, and spacious properties. This valley community has been known as the gateway to the high desert. Our property rests on the ridge overlooking the valley, on 2 private fenced acres backing up to the hills. Down the hill is a neighborhood of locals, vacation homes, and ranches. Our landscaper of 20 years lives across the street. On the highway are local coffee shops, cafe, gas stations, boutiques, a post office, and the cactus mart (the premier spot for buying cactus and succulents in the high desert area).
Morongo Valley is a small community of artists, second home owners, and locals. This historic valley was once the primary home of the Maarrênga’yam, "people from Morongo", of the Serrano band of Morongo Indians, and is known for its water, flowing down from the San Gorgonio mountains into the streams that helped great the Big Morongo Canyon preserve and oasis. The natural resource of the canyon as a historical space and ecological habitat was in need of protection in the mid 1900s. The Audobon Society, The Nature Conservancy, and concerned locals worked with the BLM towards the creation of Big Morongo Canyon and Covington Park. The Covington family and others donated land to the conservancy for protection, and they created in the park, an art colony and nature center. The community of Morongo has sought to preserve and celebrate the beauty of the valley. The canyon is now officially a part of the Sand to Snow National Monument!
We are located off Highway 62 up in the hills above Morongo Valley. All roads to our home are paved with clear street signs. Our property has a private entry gate, long driveway, with plenty of parking for 3 or 4 cars.
here is ample parking available in the covered carport or in the driveway in front of the house. We have a no contact check-in process and will provide you with a code to the entry gate and keyless doors locks a week prior to your check-in date.
Our home is pet friendly! 2 pets are permitted with an additional pet fee of $150 which covers maximum 2 pets. You must clean up after your pets. Our property around the house has a fence perfect for keeping your pets safe from wandering into the desert where we have lots of wildlife including coyotes, owls, and hawks. Please keep an eye on your pets at all times for their own safety.
• FIREPLACES AND WOOD BURNING STOVES: Fireplaces in the main house are for cosmetic use only. Guests are NOT permitted to use the fireplace and wood stoves, due to our home insurance policy and the risks associated with being in a high fire risk area. We provide central heat for guests' use. Guests in the CASITA MAY USE the small wood burning stove. Please clean ashes into the metal bin after use.
• CLOSEST AIRPORTS
Palm Springs, CA (PSP) - 25 mins (27 miles)
Ontario, CA (ONT) - 1 hour (70 miles)
Orange County, CA (JWA) - 1 hour 40 mins
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) - 2 hours
Come see what the desert has in store for you!
San Diego, CA (SAN) - 2 hours 15 mins
Las Vegas, NV (LAS) - 3 hours 30 mins
Sight Seeing in Morongo Canyon
• Just up the hill from the property is the boundary of the Sand to Snow National Monument with thousands of acres of protected land. We are just 2 miles from the Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, a desert oasis and one of the largest cottonwood and willow riparian habitats in California. Founded by the Audobon Society and Nature Conservancy, it has been designated as one of the United States’s Important Bird Areas by the American Bird Conservancy.
Pool and spa facilities
Indoor Jacuzzi , Unheated Outdoor swimming pool
Parking and facilities
Parking available, Parking Included, Roofed carport, Private Garden , Private Porch
Credit cards accepted, Children welcome, Pets welcome, Smoking not allowed, Suitable for elderly or infirm , Wheelchair accessible
Rural , Village
Bathroom and laundry
Bed linen, Hair dryer, Essentials, Iron & Board, Shower, Towel set , Bathtub
Heating and cooling
Air conditioning, Ceiling fans, Central heating, Fireplace , Heating available
Stereo system, TV (Antenna) , TV (Cable)
Internet and office
Broadband Internet , Broadband Internet
Kitchen and dining
Blender, Coffee machine, Cooking utensils, Kitchen stove, Microwave, Oven, Refrigerator , Toaster
Carbon Monoxide Detector, Fire Extinguisher, First aid kit , Smoke Detector
Credit cards accepted
Smoking not allowed
Suitable for elderly or infirm
Check in: 03:00 PM
Check out: 11:00 AM
From Los Angeles or San Bernardino, take the I-10 freeway East towards Indio, Ca. Take exit 117 for Ca Highway 62 towards Yucca Valley. Continue on Ca-62 for 9 miles. Once you get to the top of the hill, you will enter Morongo Valley.
Turn left at Senilis Avenue (there is a stoplight and a Chevron gas station at this intersection). Continue on Senilis, keeping left at the first fork. Turn Right on Juniper Ave. Turn left on Hibiscus Dr. We are the last house on the right at the very top of the hill.